Monday, February 13, 2017

Why "Everyday English"?

Let me make this clear. English is my second language. And though I used to teach English, I do admit that my grammar isn't perfect. I am against people who make fun of other people's mistakes to troll them or to nitpick.



However, I also believe that it is great when one is able to write and spell properly. For example, learn the difference between their, they're, and there; principle vs principal. These are very common mistakes that I see people commit over the internet on a daily basis.

One of my pet peeves is when news articles are written, edited, and not proofread carefully. And oftentimes, Yahoo articles give me the impression that they don't have a proofreader. I don't nitpick on people's grammar on comment boards, but journalism is a different league. I've always held journalism on a pedestal. I expect articles, whether it's a news article or entertainment article, to be edited and proofread and published with no grammar mistake at all. Why? Because that's journalism. It's these writers' job and I expect them to do it well. Don't you?

So, if it's a noteworthy error, it deserves a space here in Everyday English.

No comments:

Post a Comment